The software that DITA-OT requires depends on the output formats you want to use.
Software required for core DITA-OT processing
DITA-OT requires the following software applications:
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
DITA-OT 4.0 is designed to run on Java version 17 or later and built and tested with the Open Java Development Kit (OpenJDK). Compatible Java distributions are available from multiple sources:
Note: This is the only prerequisite that you need to install. All other required software is provided in the distribution package, including Apache Ant™ 1.10.12, Saxon 10.6, and ICU for Java 70.1.
- You can download the Oracle JRE or JDK from oracle.com/java under commercial license.
- Eclipse Temurin is the free OpenJDK distribution available from adoptium.net.
- Free OpenJDK distributions are also provided by Amazon Corretto, Azul Zulu, and Red Hat.
Software required for specific transformations
Depending on the type of output that you want to generate, you might need the following applications:
- Microsoft Help Workshop
- Required for generating HTML help. You can download the Help Workshop from msdn.microsoft.com.
- XSL-FO processor
- Required for generating PDF output. Apache™ FOP (Formatting Objects Processor) 2.5 is included in the distribution package. You can download other versions from xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop. You can also use commercial FO processors such as Antenna House Formatter or RenderX XEP.