The prerequisite software that DITA-OT requires depends on the types of transformations that you want to use.
Software required for core DITA-OT processing
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
DITA-OT is designed to run on Java version 8u101 or later and built and tested with the Open Java Development Kit (OpenJDK). Compatible Java distributions are available from multiple sources:Note: This is the only prerequisite software that you need to install. The remaining required software is included in the distribution package.
- Apache Ant
- Provides the standard setup and sequencing of processing steps. DITA-OT includes Ant version 1.10.6. You can download Ant from ant.apache.org.
- XSLT processor
- Provides the main transformation services. It must be compliant with XSLT 2.0. DITA-OT includes Saxon version 126.96.36.199. You can download Saxon from saxon.sourceforge.net.
Software required for specific transformations
- ICU for Java
- ICU for Java is a cross-platform, Unicode-based, globalization library. It includes support for comparing locale-sensitive strings; formatting dates, times, numbers, currencies, and messages; detecting text boundaries; and converting character sets. You can download ICU for Java from icu-project.org/download.
- Microsoft Help Workshop
- Required for generating HTML help. You can download the Help Workshop from msdn.microsoft.com.
- XSL-FO processor
- Required for generating PDF output. Apache™ FOP (Formatting Objects Processor) is included in the distribution package. You can download other versions from xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop. You can also use commercial FO processors such as Antenna House Formatter or RenderX XEP.