Installing DITA Open Toolkit
The DITA-OT distribution package can be installed on Linux, macOS, and Windows. It contains everything that you need to run the toolkit except for Java.
Before you begin
Ensure that you have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK).DITA-OT is designed to run on Java version 8u101 or later and built and tested with the Open Java Development Kit (OpenJDK). Compatible Java distributions are available from multiple sources:
- You can download the Oracle JRE or JDK from oracle.com/technetwork/java under commercial license.
- OpenJDK is a free open-source implementation of Java available from adoptopenjdk.net.
- Free OpenJDK distributions are also available from other vendors, including Amazon Corretto, Azul Zulu, and Red Hat.
- If you want to generate HTML Help, ensure that you have HTML Help
You can download the Help Workshop from msdn.microsoft.com.
- Download the dita-ot-3.6.1.zip package from the project website at dita-ot.org/download.
- Extract the contents of the package to the directory where you want to install DITA-OT.
Add the absolute path for the bin folder of the DITA-OT installation directory to the
PATH environment variable.
Tip: This defines the necessary environment variable that allows the dita command to be run from any location on the file system without typing the path to the command.