The prerequisite software that the DITA-OT requires depends on the types of transformations that you want to use.
Software required for core DITA-OT processing
- JRE or JDK, version 8 or later
- Provides the basic environment for the DITA-OT. You can download the Oracle JRE or JDK from oracle.com/technetwork/java. Note: This is the only prerequisite software that you need to install. The remaining required software is included in the distribution package.
- Ant, version 1.7.1 or later
- Provides the standard setup and sequencing of processing steps. You can download Ant from http://ant.apache.org/.
- XSLT processor
- Provides the main transformation services. It must be compliant with XSLT 2.0. The DITA-OT is tested with Saxon. You can download Saxon, version 126.96.36.199 from http://saxon.sourceforge.net/.
Software required for specific transformations
- ICU for Java
- ICU for Java is a cross-platform, Unicode-based, globalization library. It includes support for comparing locale-sensitive strings; formatting dates, times, numbers, currencies, and messages; detecting text boundaries; and converting character sets. You can download ICU for Java from http://site.icu-project.org/download/.
- Microsoft Help Workshop
- Required for generating HTML help. You can download the Help Workshop from msdn.microsoft.com.
- XSL-FO processor
- Required for generating PDF output. Apache™ FOP (Formatting Objects Processor) is included in the distribution package. You can download other versions from http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html. You can also use commercial FO processors such as Antenna House Formatter or RenderX XEP.