The prerequisite software that the DITA-OT requires depends on the types of transformations that you want to use.
Software required for core DITA-OT processing
- JRE or JDK, version 7 or later
- Provides the basic environment for the DITA-OT. You can download the Oracle JRE or JDK from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. Note: This is the only prerequisite software that you need to install. The remaining required software is included in the distribution packages.
- Ant, version 1.7.1 or later
- Provides the standard setup and sequencing of processing steps. You can download Ant from http://ant.apache.org/.
- XSLT processor
- Provides the main transformation services. It must be compliant with XSLT 2.0. The DITA-OT is tested with Saxon. You can download Saxon, version 188.8.131.52 from http://saxon.sourceforge.net/.
Software required for specific transformations
- ICU for Java
- ICU for Java is a cross-platform, Unicode-based, globalization library. It includes support for comparing locale-sensitive strings; formatting dates, times, numbers, currencies, and messages; detecting text boundaries; and converting character sets. You can download ICU for Java from http://www.icu-project.org/download/.
- Microsoft Help Workshop
- Required for generating HTML help. You can download the Help Workshop from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms669985%28v=vs.85%29.aspx.
- XSL-FO processor
- Required for generating PDF output. You can download FOP from http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html; you also can use Antenna House Formatter or RenderX.
See Tested platforms and tools for detailed information about versions of the prerequisite applications that have been tested with the current DITA-OT release.